What Are the Benefits of a Mattress Topper?
What is a mattress topper?
A mattress topper is an additional comfort layer that is added to a mattress to increase longevity and increase the comfort of your mattress. We recommend that all one-side mattress should have a topper as this helps t increase the notoriously short life span of no-turn mattresses. For two-sided mattress models having a topper is really more subjective based on comfort, especially if you want to soften the mattress.
The confusion with mattress toppers starts when you try to buy a mattress topper in retail shops. This is where the struggle for the elusive ‘perfect mattress topper’ begins with so many on offer.
The problem is the market is flooded with hundreds of different mattress toppers, some are brilliant and some way below par for the job. You can find toppers everywhere from bespoke bed shops to discount shops meaning that there is a huge variety of offerings. Prices vary greatly and in some cases the only option you’re presented with is what size you want rather than the depth or firmness of the topper!
What are the benefits of a mattress topper?
The benefits of using a mattress topper can be split into two categories, increasing comfort and increasing the longevity of the mattress. They are an excellent way of increasing the life of your bed and providing you with flexibility. Let us go into a little more detail on the benefits of mattress toppers.
1. Providing additional comfort layers
If you choose to sleep on a core mattress without adding an additional topper, it will not be too long before the softer top component compresses under your bodyweight and the mattress will become discoloured through perspiration. Adding a topper gives another layer which will compress before the mattress; giving you more comfort but ultimately a layer that can be easily turned and rotated. We’ve spoken on mattress construction about the issues with one-sided mattresses; a necessary construction method with foam beds. A topper helps to address this issue.
2. The longevity of the mattress
Moving on to the longevity of the mattress we need to tackle the uncomfortable subject matter of sleeping directly on your mattress. This means there is nothing there to combat the three main enemies to your mattress:
- Body Perspiration – On average the body releases up to two pints of moisture each night. This is through sweat, breathing and other fluids. The only place for this to go is into the covers, duvet and ultimately your mattress. A mattress topper allows you to stop sweat and perspiration from reaching your core mattress. So even though the topper and covers will still absorb perspiration, it is far cheaper to remove, wash or even replace these than the entire mattress.
- Dead skin and bacteria – These will inevitably end up on the closest layers to the body and by using a topper again you can keep these away from your mattress.
- Undue settlement and indentations – As we have discussed on sagging, eventually foams will compress somewhat as this is the nature of the foam structure. By using a topper, you ensure that the top layers take any sag and not the mattress. It also allows you to replace the topper should you need to, ie if your body weight increases significantly pushing the original suitable mattress towards its limits. Ultimately it will allow you to replace the top layer or tweak the mattress feel later on.
The additional benefits you get from utilising toppers will, in the long run, pay dividends, it allows your mattress to stay newer for longer and provides you with increased comfort. When the topper has taken all it can after the barrage of nightly activities, it is a small expenditure to replace as necessary rather than reaching the stage where the complete mattress requires replacement.
Can a latex or foam topper be used on a latex memory foam mattress?
The answer is yes. It will change and soften the top layer of the latex memory foam mattress, but any quality mattress topper should be suitable for a latex memory foam mattress. The type of topper you choose will determine the extra sink it provides. If you need more guidance on how a topper may affect the feel of one of our mattresses, then please get in touch for tailored advice.
A mattress protector should be the very least of your efforts to help reduce the damaging effects of sweat and other fluids during your time spent in bed. A mattress topper is a great way to increase the comfort layers of your mattress. They also help to reduce the wear and tear put on your core mattress.
A good rule of thumb is to match the materials of the topper to those within the core mattress though this is not mandatory. If you need more help why not have a look at our Sleepthetic™ Fitted Memory Foam Topper in our shop for details of our range. Why not give our small friendly team a call on 65-96535877 or drop us a message below for more help?